Summer is almost here, and many families are planning that great summer road trip. Whether you are planning a day trip or a longer weeklong adventure, it is important to be prepared before you hit the road. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) statistics reveal that more fatal traffic crashes occur over the summer months than over the winter months.
It will be important to have an auto insurance update before you go. Laws vary from state to state and when it comes to your auto insurance, it is important to have the best possible combination of coverage, price, and service.
Summer Driving Tips
- If you have teen drivers, make sure they have taken driver safety training.
- Never use your phone while driving.
- When on a long drive, take frequent breaks.
- Roads become very slippery in the first few minutes of rainfall because the rain mixes with the oil and dirt on the road. It takes about 30 minutes of steady rain to wash the oil and dirt off the road.
- If your car is due for a tune-up, oil change, battery check, or tire rotation, now is the time to get it done.
- Use seats belts every trip, all the time.
- Traffic laws vary by state so it is important to follow traffic signs.
- Pack extra water and supplies in case of an emergency.
- Drive at a safe speed. Speeding increases the likelihood and severity of a crash.